2 a conceptual separation or demarcation; "there is a narrow line between sanity and insanity" [syn: line, dividing line, contrast]
- Rhymes: -eɪʃǝn
- The act of marking off a boundary or setting a limit; a limit; the strict separation of the type of work done by members of different trade unions.
Demarcation is the act of creating a boundary around a place or thing.
Demarcation may also refer to:
- Demarcation line, a temporary border between the countries
- Demarcation problem, the question of what theories or beliefs lie within the boundaries of science
- Demarcation dispute, may arise when two different trade unions both claim the right to represent the same class or group of workers
- Demarcation point, in telephony, the point at which the telephone company network ends and connects with the wiring at the customer premises
demarcation in Polish: Demarkacja (prawo)
demarcation in Russian: Демаркация
alteration, analysis, anatomization, atomization, ban, bar, barring, blockade, bounding, boycott, change, circling-in, circumscribing, circumscription, contradistinction, debarment, debarring, definition, delimitation, desynonymization, determination, differencing, differentiation, discrimination, disequalization, disjunction, distinction, distinctiveness, distinguishment, diversification, division, embargo, encincture, exception, exclusion, hairsplitting, inadmissibility, inclusion-exclusion, individualization, individuation, injunction, lockout, microscopic distinction, modification, narrowing, nice distinction, nonadmission, nuance, omission, particularization, personalization, preclusion, prohibition, rejection, relegation, repudiation, restriction, segregation, separation, severalization, severance, shade of difference, specialization, specification, subtle distinction, taboo, trichoschistism, variation